West 104th Street Community Garden Reserved Event Guidelines
The West 104th Street Community Garden is a public garden owned by the NYC Parks Department and operated by volunteer gardeners through its GreenThumb program. Garden members and non-members are welcome to reserve portions of the garden for personal use. Reserved events ensure that there is no overlap in the use of garden amenities such as the gazebo, stage, picnic table or barbecue. Please note that having an event approved does not grant exclusive use of the garden. As a NYC Park Department space, the garden is open to the public during posted hours and any time a member is in the garden.
Members may reserve portions of the garden for an event such as a Barbecue or picnic. Nonmembers must have a member sponsor who will be on site during the event and are limited to reserving during weekend, public hours. Please read the rules below for details.
Note that we never longer require a deposit or fee per GreenThumb rules.
To Schedule a Reservation:
Please download our Reserved Event Form and Guidelines (59Kb PDF) to indicate the date, time, number of guests and location of the proposed event (East or West Garden). Check our calendar to make sure that the area you wish to use has not already been reserved. Email the completed form as instructed in the guidelines. You should expect a reply with one week.
Non-Members: Upon arrival, Non-Members are required to check in with an events committee member who will serve as a host. The host will give you access to the garden, explain the use of the facilities and go over the rules for reserved events. The host will also monitor the event to ensure a safe and pleasant experience for you and our neighbors, and will help to close up when your event is finished.
Reserved Event Rules & Clarifications
- No smoking in the garden. New York City Parks Department prohibits smoking in all its properties.
- No alcoholic beverages, intoxication and/or disorderly conduct.
- Maximum number of guests in a single group: East garden/15 people, West garden/10 people.
- Length of event: 2 hours maximum, 30 minutes allowed each for set up and clean up before and after event.
- No destruction of garden property.
- Don’t pick any flowers or vegetables.
- Children should be attended at all times.
- Please keep the volume down (music & otherwise.) No amplified sound is permitted.
- Charcoal that has been soaked in lighter fluid is not permitted. For your convenience a chimney is provided in the shed in the west garden to help light your fire without lighter fluid. Replace the charcoal & any other supplies if utilized. (BBQ Grill Instructions)
- Thoroughly clean the BBQ grills & the utensils by 11am the morning after the event. Nonmembers should arrange a time with the sponsor to return to clean the next morning.
- All events should be finished by 9PM.
- Be neat. YOU are responsible for removing all garbage and recyclables from the garden. Do not put garbage in the garden cans or leave bags of garbage around the cans inside the garden or outside on the street. The nearest trash cans are at the corner of 104th Street and Manhattan Avenue or 104th Street and Central Park West.
- Always leave the garden in a better place than when you found it!
Additional requirements for nonmembers:
- A member “host” will be selected from the Event committee or Steering Committee and must be on premises to open and/or close garden (if not already done) and oversee event for purposes of security and maintenance.
- Use of garden by nonmembers is granted only during seasonal monitored hours: Sat and Sunday 10am-4pm.
- In the event the visiting party does not follow the rules and are unwilling to change their behavior, they will be asked to leave. In the event that does not happen, they will be given a warning that 311 or local Precinct 24 will be called. We reserve that right to preserve NYC Parks property and good will towards our neighbors.
If you abide by the rules, you will be welcome to enjoy the garden again. If someone else has to clean up after you, or there are complaints related to your event (damage to the plants or furniture, excessive noise) you will no longer be permitted to make a reservation.
We hope you have a wonderful event! If you have any questions, contact us at (firstname.lastname@example.org).